Short answer: It depends! Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it’s the truth.
We’d love to be able to throw out a number when someone asks us this question – it would save a lot of time and work! But unfortunately, we aren’t psychics.
(Doesn’t work like this yet, sadly.)
Pricing for managed IT services is so variable even an educated guess could be way off.
Cost is determined by many factors and is totally unique for each business. An in-depth consultation to determine your current setup and needs is a requirement to get an accurate rate.
WHAT AFFECTS MANAGED IT PRICING?
Every managed service provider (MSP) has its own method for this, but common factors are:
- How many people work at your company
- How many devices (computers, phones, printers, tablets, etc) you have or want
- Whether any equipment needs to be upgraded
- What software you use and the number of licenses to be managed
- What services are included (managed security, email, backup, training, web, etc)
- How intricate your network and office setup is
- How many locations your business has
- The level of support needed (for example remote-only service versus on-site visits included)
- How experienced the provider is
- And many other factors that make each partnership different
TYPES OF MANAGED IT SERVICE PRICING
Generally, MSPs will base their monthly rate on either the number of users or the number of devices.
For example, an MSP determines that based on their needs and the level of management required, a company should be charged $200/month/user for its services. That price will cover the management, maintenance, and troubleshooting of every device each person uses in their work (desktop, laptop, phone, etc).
Or, they could decide that regardless of the number of employees, a company should be charged $150/month/device. No matter how many people use that desktop computer, the client will pay $150/month for all management, maintenance, and troubleshooting for it and the same goes for every other device.
Some MSPs only use one pricing method. Some will go back and forth depending on each business they work with and what makes the most sense. And some MSPs may use a different model completely.
Here are a few of the most popular:
WRAP UP – WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN SHOPPING MSP PRICING
We aren’t a one-size-fits-all shop like some other managed service providers. We tailor our solutions to the unique needs of your business.
While we can’t speak to every MSP, we recommend being wary of any who will give you a price without a thorough consultation and explanation of the costs. It may seem like you’re getting a good deal at the start, but this is a surefire way to run into issues down the road.
The monthly cost can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Unfortunately, we can’t give a more accurate answer than this until we get to know your company and its needs.